The Museum Associate (MA) provides a positive and friendly face for the museum while on the museum floor. Performs duties at the front desk and supervises volunteers while on duty. MA facilitates safety and security in the museum at all times. This position is for approximately 20 hours per week with a pay rate of $8.50 per hour. We are not accepting any further applications until our current round of interviews is completed.
Responsible for daily activity of the museum: visitor relations, cash handling and sales transactions; basic daily bookkeeping, gift shop sales, restocking supplies, animal care and maintenance; general cleaning and maintenance of the museum, administrative offices and conference room; daily inspection, routine maintenance, and resetting exhibits.
- Facilitates a positive and educational experience for guests by maintaining quality, cleanliness and a positive attitude.
- Facilitates safety and security. Reports incidents, accidents, and fills out an incident form.
- Manages cash, checks, and credit card transactions in a fast-paced environment.
- Is knowledgeable about our camps, programs, membership and policies.
- Maintains a daily report that is accurate and complete.
- Documents daily activities.
- Assists with field trips, birthday parties, programs, and events.
- Assists with teaching summer camps as requested.
- Performs opening and closing duties when required. Checks all doors upon leaving.
- Participates in cleaning the museum and exhibit repairs, reporting as needed to the Director of Operations.
- Communicates messages, phone calls, emails, and/or visits accurately.
- Attends all staff meetings and assigned special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Customer Service: Providing a friendly environment to the museum experience throughout the visit. Including greeting visitors, answering phone calls, cash handling, and helping guests with any questions they may have.
- Animal Care: Humane sanitary daily care of the resident animals, including feeding, daily cleaning, and weekly cleaning as assigned.
- Birthday Parties: Staffing and facilitating birthday parties, helping patrons and guests with the event. Providing programming as needed for the event.
- Field Trips: Leading educational field trips in the museum as assigned and trained.
- Chores: Completing daily chores for museum maintenance and documenting completion of all chores.
- Documentation: Accurate and thorough documentation of registration activity, museum records, and planning documents in print and electronically as needed.
- Special Events: Staffing special events as assigned both at and away from the Museum.
OPTIONAL BUT PREFFERED
- Prior experience working with kids.
- Interest in science and education.
- Previous cash handling experience.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact positively with children, adults, and large groups.
- Ability to react positively to a rapidly changing environment and make good decisions under pressure.
- Ability to work with diverse staff and visitors.
Help the children in our community learn and grow while you gain experience and have fun through Orpheum Spring Break Camps! The Orpheum is seeking Camp Instructors for spring break camps running March 19th through March 23rd. Applicants may apply for one, several, or all days of camp. Two camps will be running during each day of the week, a K-2nd and a 3rd-5th. Camp Instructors must be over the age of 18 and have previous experience working with youth; CPR and First Aid training a plus. Camp instructors will be expected to attend training prior to the start of camp and attend each day of camp, Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Duties include preparing and facilitating camp activities, maintaining a safe environment for campers both physically and emotionally, and performing other duties as assigned. Successful applicants will display maturity, good judgment and enthusiasm. Pay is $10/hour. To apply, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your availability during the camp period as well as any preference on age range you prefer to work with